Friday, April 10, 2009

The Flying Troutmans, Kafka and a Runnner's Memoir

Still in my pjs, no running yet...later. Rather than taking an early morning run I decided to curl up on the couch with a cup of coffee and finished reading Miriam Towes' most recent novel, "The Flying Troutmans." I became a fan of Miriam Towes a few years ago when I read "The Summer of my Amazing Luck." While I enjoyed it, this lastest novel in my opinion, is much better. It also turned out to be a perfect selection after reading "Amerika: the missing person" by Franz Kafka. Stories about ordinary life and the unexpected twist and turns that make us who we are. I highly recommend reading these two novels back to back (in this order)...you'll understand why when you do. My little literary gift to you.  

With my second cup of coffee I picked up a book by Haruki Murakami, "What I talk about when I talk about running: a memoir." This book came to me as a gift from my very good friend Michael McGovern who lives in Calgary. Mike and I were roommates in Montreal for a year and even though we don't see each other often, he probably knows me better than most people do. How do I know this? Because in just the few brief pages that make up Mr. Murakmi's foreword, "Suffering is Optional", I found myself laughing, wistfully sighing and finally welling up with tears...not sad but truthful. I want to give Mike a big hug because this wonderful gift I already know will bring such pleasure...and I anticipate mindful pause about my 1000 mile year. Flipping back to the picture on the book jacket so I could see Mr. Murakami's photo and bio, I also discovered that he recently received the Franz Kafka prize and has written a book entitled "Kafka on the Shore." Isn't that a funny little twist of literary fortuity? 

No comments:

Post a Comment